Wednesday, July 13, 2011

in other news....

It is raining today, which makes me happy. I know, its weird and bizarre, but I LOVE dark, rainy days. Obviously, if it rained EVERY DAY, I would start longing for sunshine, but having lived on the coast for many years, I got very accustomed to rain and the different moods it takes. I loved the wild, windy storms and the soft, misty days where it doesn't LOOK like it's raining but you're still soaked in five minutes.

Here, of course, we get four definite seasons, and it only rains when its supposed to (in my opinion).

Also, I got nine library books yesterday, and have already read one and a half! Well, and I already looked through the cookbook about brunch stuff, but that doesn't really count.

I have a book here called "Mozart's Ghost" by Julia Cameron. Obviously, I can't resist a book that has Mozart in the title - a couple months ago, I read "The Mozart Season" which is technically a "young adult" novel but was GORGEOUSLY written. A complete delight. So many books about 13-ish girls just make me furious, because they act like all the girls I hated when I was young. Completely shallow, boy-crazy and obnoxiously two-faced with each other.

Allegra, in "The Mozart Season" is MUCH more the kind of kid I was....not only in the sense that she played classical music and liked to read, but just the way she talked and thought about things reminded me of me. The way she listened to the radio quietly late at night. Lots of things.

Anyhow! I hope this "Mozart's Ghost" book isn't a total disappointment. I AM going to write another novel someday, though I feel pretty up to my ears in the non-fiction book I'm writing now, and the music for the CD.

But I have stories in here. *points to own head*

Last night I had a weird collection of brief dreams, like a Paul Thomas Anderson movie or something. There was one in which I was protecting not only MY children but several others from some sort of Gestapo-type soldiers. There was one in which I was going on a horribly bumpy bike ride with a middle-aged lady who was sobbing over why she was leaving her husband. There was one in which I was helping run a community event, sort of like a fair, and there was a dreadful Pageant Mom lady who was insisting that her little girl needed a "number", saying "How will the judges know who Celeste IS if you don't assign her a NUMBER!" and I was trying in vain to explain the total and complete lack of anything like judges.

Attributing the dreams to my time of the month - yes, as Jen from The IT Crowd would say "I've fallen to the communists." Earlier, I was speaking just a bit irritably to my daughter, and she went silently to her bedroom and came back with a square of Hershey's chocolate! Golly, what a great kid!

No comments: